Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fire & Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost

To those souls unlucky enough to board flight 3407, their worlds were ended by both fire and ice.
My deepest condolences go out to the families and friends of those who lost their lives.

My daughter flew out of Buffalo Thursday on her way to Atlanta. I texted her during the day and didn't get a response.
I went to bed early Thursday night.
Friday morning I awoke to the clock radio telling me to stay tuned for an update on the horrific plane crash.
What plane?, where? Why hadn't I heard from my daughter?
I was relieved to hear that it wasn't my daughter's plane and deeply saddened at the same time to hear that the plane crashed 6 miles from Buffalo in Clarence center.
Everyone was killed that was aboard the plane and one of the people in the house also died.
I know people who live in that area...some of my husband's cousins and their families live in Clarence.
I've been to Clarence.
My cousin used to take his children to a day care center .25 miles from the site where the plane went down.

A family was home just doing their own thing when a plane fell out of the sky and on to their house and exploded.
Amazingly 2 people escaped from the house.
Can you imagine being living in one of the houses next to the house that got hit?
Just last month we had a plane land on the Hudson river and everyone walked away, the pilot proclaimed a hero.
Friday the 13th eve, different story.

Would you rebuild your house in the same spot if you were those people?
Would they even be allowed to build in the same spot?
Why would anyone even want to rebuild in the same spot where 50 people died?
Hopefully they will decide to put a monument on the spot.

We used to live in the flight path of Griffith Air Force Base, and some of the planes would fly over the house rather low. One day I was outside with my kids, who were 2 & 4 at the time, and a plane flew so low I could read the numbers on the plane. It was kind of creepy when the shadow of the plane would appear on the lawn as it flew by.
I had many nightmares about planes flying into my house.
So glad that we moved out of that area.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mamma Mia was fantastic!!
We laughed, we cried, we fought the urge to sing along.
Our seats were awesome, we could see the costumes and the actors faces perfectly.
We went out to a BBQ place afterwards.
I would go see Mamma Mia again...much better than the movie by far.
They could have made the movie so much better by getting actors that could actually sing.

I didn't buy any Valentines this year.
normally it would bother me if my hubby didn't get me flowers or a card, but this year, it was just another day.
He did buy us a special heart shaped cake which we took over my parents and shared.
I didn't even send my son a card at college.....but he didn't send us one either so it doesn't matter.
Hope everyone had a nice Valentines Day.

(see comments for update)

5 comments:

Kittee83 said...

Well, so glad to hear everything's going well hun. Those airplane dreams can be the scariest, but you had to live in a place where your plane could have easily crashed into your home... Ekkk!

Mamma Mia sounds brilliant, must see that sometime before it finishes. Get a plane over to London and treat myself for the night, hmmm... Ideas... ^_^/

Smiles.

Christine said...

It always shocked me when a plane goes down in this day and age. It takes away a little from wonderful feeling that the pilot prevented a horrific crash last month to hear that these people weren't so lucky.

On a more positive note, I saw MM on broadway and it was great. I wish they wouldn't make films of these classics. It never compares.

Lindi said...

Update: I saw the passenger list in the paper and I know the family of one woman that was killed.
How sad....
I don't know them well enough to call them and don't want to disturb them in their time of grief.
My niece's boyfriend went to high school with one of the other passengers...

Coffeypot said...

The latest information I heard says the pilot pulled up on the yoke too much and caused the plane to stall and fall. Also, one of the women kill on the plane was a 9/11 widow who was an activist in that cause. Kind of creepy, huh.

Walker said...

I don't like thinking of whats going through those peoples minds and everything turned for the worse.
I feel for their families, in most cases its a closed coffin and their only lasting memory is trying to remember when they last saw them.

Some things just plain suck