Tuesday, October 7, 2008

50 Years ...is a long time

This past Saturday afternoon, we went to one of Hubby's cousin's 50th wedding anniversary parties.
His side of the family is huge, his dad was one of 13 and his mom one of 10 children.
He is actually one of the youngest of the cousins.
And I am closer in age to
the cousin's children.
(Yes I married an older man...by 8 years...my daughter thinks the age difference is just disgusting...LOL)
His cousin "L" and her husband "R" are fun loving people with 6 children.
They all gave speeches of course and then "L" thanked all the children for throwing such a wonderful party.
"L" told us how she came to meet "R" at a friend's wedding reception.
"L" said that when she first saw "R" standing by the bar, she told her sister that that was the man she was going to marry. She hadn't even met him, but thought he was handsome and he happened to be carrying a keg of beer at the time.

It was a nice party.
My siblings & I threw a surprise 50th wedding anniversary party last year for my parents.
Time seems to fly by so fast.
I remember talking with "L" before our wedding and her telling me that they had just celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary...and I remember thinking that that was a long time to be married...now next month I will hit the 25 year mark.
I'm too young to be married that long....I've been married the majority of my life.
Although lately I wonder if we will make it to 50 years....let alone 30

1 comment:

Coffeypot said...

I have been married for 30 years, but it took two women to do it. I had a 15 year hiatus in between them, too. My parents were married for 50 years, but my dad died three months after the anniversary.