Saturday, October 18, 2008

Body Maintainance

Anyone over 40 can relate to all the body maintenance, doctor appointments, tests and procedures that must be performed at an increasing frequency as we get older.
Women start with the yearly pap test, then in our 30s we start with the yearly mammogram, then if you are one of the chosen ones to have a family history of colon cancer you get the every 3 years colonoscopy.
And of course all the blood tests, stress tests, electrocardio thingys, ultrasounds, x-rays and if you really baffle your doctor, CT scans and MRIs.
This of course if you are lucky enough to have health insurance.

And the CT Scan test results are........ (drum roll)
I knew they wouldn't be devastatingly horrible as I had to call the doctor's office to find out...
.....2 kidney stones (one in each kidney) and a huge cyst on my ovary...
whew!!! no mystery tumors ...
But I am back to where I was before.
I had 2 lipthotripsies, one on each side already
and already had surgery last year for an orange sized cyst ...same side, same place.
I should be depressed about this...
I'm not depressed about this...
what I AM depressed about is...

I went to the eye doctor today to get new contacts and new glasses...
My vision got a little worse...which I can deal with, BUT
when he told me that I have a cataract starting on my one eye...WTF I'm too young for that!!
I'm not even out of my 40s yet!!
I knew my vision in that eye was getting worse...but a CATARACT!!

ARGH!! It was bad enough when I was 38 and was in the waiting room of the Cancer Hospital's colon/rectal clinic with all the seniors...after my pencil eraser sized cancerous tumor was removed from my colon... the people in the waiting room looked at me like why the heck is she here...must be waiting for someone. And at the urologists office with all the older gentlemen in the waiting room...although there were a few other women my age.

So now I get to add my eye to the list of things that need to be checked every year.

My husband is fit as a fiddle.
No complaints
and he's 8 years older than me
He will most likely out live me
He is a blood donor
He has given approx 6 gallons of blood already
He has all the T-Shirts to prove it.

The fall leaves are absolutely beautiful this year.
People don't need to travel all the way to Vermont, just come to NY state.
We have apples, pretty leaves, and we also make maple sugar.
The Adirondack mountains are breathtakingly beautiful in the fall.
Not that Vermont isn't nice too...I've been there...it reminds me of home.

I am always startled by the wild life that wanders into my back yard.
Recently there were 4 does in the yard, one only about 10 feet away from the house, just munching away on the grass.
Then 2 more of their friends showed up...half a dozen deer..
I tried to take their photo, but having to look through a window on an angle to get the picture didn't quite turn out so clear...kept getting "Photo is blurry...Delete?"
I don't dare tell some of the neighbors as they will want to come and kill them. :-(
Usually it is the turkey I see.
they are funny birds.
They walk single file according to height.
The baby ones bringing up the rear.
Hysterically funny to see them fly.
One year one of the turkeys didn't quite get enough altitude and flew into my neighbors roof.
There are over 30 turkeys that wander the neighborhood together.
If I had the stomach to hunt, we could be livin' high off the land.
My father said that we should try trapping a turkey.
I told my father that if I caught a turkey, I wouldn't be able to clean it as I wouldn't know how.
He offered to do it if I trapped one.
Haven't taken him up on the offer.
With my luck, I would trap a skunk or rapid raccoon.

That's enough rambling for one day...
Hopefully I didn't put y'all to sleep.
The dryer has stopped...time to fold the laundry!













3 comments:

Walker said...

As you get older all that poking and proding at the doctors office replaces sex you know ;)

I gave up hunting because i found people deserve to be shot more than unarmed animals

Coffeypot said...

I was traveling through upstate NY last weekend. I was going up I-88 to I-81 turning left and heading through PA. It was beautiful.

Jon said...

Well at least all of your medical issues can be corrected. I hope the cancer never returns.

Eye surgery is not that bad. My dad had it done about 15 years ago, and he did really well. One of the few times he didn't complain about an ailment of his.