Wednesday, January 21, 2009

All I could see was white

All I could see was white...and I thought I was dead.
These are the words that were uttered by my daughter after driving home last Friday in a bad snow storm.
The route she takes to work, she passes many open fields, so she got to experience whiteouts for the first time as a driver.
She then got stuck twice.....
in our driveway.
So her and her brother shoveled and snow blowed out the driveway so it was nice and clear when Hubby & I got home.
It was very much appreciated!!

Saturday I made a turkey dinner and took it over my parents house.
Sort of a goodbye to my son who left to go back to college on SUnday and as a treat for my Dad before surgery.
I even made his favorite homemade Tapioca pudding.

While my husband was driving my son back to college, i made turkey soup Sunday.
Turkey and Stars soup
I shared that with my parents also

Monday, hubby got up at 3:30 am and started snow blowing.
First he did our driveway then my folks across the street.
He cleared off my dad's van and got it ready.
HE was going to wait till 4 am to start but said that it's lucky that he didn't as the snow was deeper than he thought and took him longer.
We left for the hospital at 5:15 am.
My sister went too and complained that she had to wade through snow to get next door to my parents house.
I felt like telling her that she should have gotten her husband out of bed to clear her a path.
But to keep peace I held my tongue...like always.
Hubby drove to the hospital.
My mother was too nervous to drive as were my sister and I and Dad couldn't drive.
Why the heck they make someone who is having surgery at 7:30 come in at 6 am is a mystery to me.
6:30 maybe...
I'm not a morning person.

The surgery was supposed to take 3 hours.
It took close to 4.
So my mother was a nervous wreck by the time the surgeon came to talk to us.
The surgery was a success as far as saving the nerve in his leg.
But, the neurosurgeon said that he couldn't get all the tumor out and it looked like it was in & on the bones.:-(
So my sister freaks out my mother further and asks what stage cancer was it.
The poor guy, who was about 6'7", looked like he was going to run away as obviously this wasn't his specialty...and his job was to remove the tumor to save the leg.
He did say that the tumor migrated from the prostrate tumor that he had that he was taking drugs for since 3 years ago to shrink.
And that he will have to discuss treatment for this with his urologist and family doctor.
So step one is done.
Now we have to concentrate on getting his leg strengthened back up so he can walk.
When he came out of recovery, he asked if we talked to the surgeon.
No one said any thing after we said yeas..
So before my sister could say anything, I told him that the surgeon said that he was able to get the tumor from the nerve and that the surgery went well and he should be up walking again.
I figured, let him rest with happy thoughts for a while and the Dr. can give him the other news.
He doesn't need to be depressed right away and it could wait a day, as this was a lot for him to handle already.
Besides, I want to be in denial for a little while anyway!!!

Thank you all for your well wishes.
My bulldog supervisor at work has yet to ask me how my father is doing...what a heartless bitch!

2 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Sounds like good news to me. At least he isn't terminal. He has some work to do, but he can do it. How bout you? You okay?

Walker said...

I know how you feel as i have gone through this with my mother.
Twice.
It's scary and sometimes we scare ourselves more than is needed.
I think it looks good that they did what they did and now just a little more to finish it.
Then all that would be left is the !@#$%$# weather.