Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hospital Times

My Dad's back Doctor told him he has a tumor on/in his spine/vertebrates.
It is pressing on his nerve for his left side/leg.
They could shrink it with radiation, but the Dr. fears that by the time they shrink it his nerve will be completely destroyed, and he will lose use of his leg, so they are going in to remove it surgically.
They have to remove those fin like things that stick out from the sides of the discs to get at it and then he will have to have 2 rods put in after they remove the tumor.
His surgery is Monday.
Martin Luther King Day. (note the irony)
I told them I have the day off so I will be going with them...he has to be there at 6 am....arghhhh....he is first under the knife as he is most critical. Hubby is coming too.
Didn't ask if the tumor was cancerous.
Don't want to know...
He said that they told him he will be home in 3-5 days.... unless he needs rehab or something.
Don't want to be there when he tells my sister as she always has a doom & gloom attitude and will probably convince herself of the worst case scenario.
I'd rather not hear it.
I told my dad that at least they can operate and "fix" it.
He has an upbeat attitude...so far....but he hasn't talked to my sister yet!
Not a nice way to spend my day off from work...but at least I don't have to take a sick day....yet.
I offered to take off Tuesday if my mother needed me.
Hopefully the weather will improve.
I hate hospitals.

4 comments:

Walker said...

High spirits is the biggest source for recovery and your father is going into this with the right possitive attitude.
I I wish him all the best and a speedy recover.
I guess that also depends oon how cute the nurses are.

Christine said...

Listen hon, surgeons in my practice do this all the time. I am sure he will be fine and removing it is the correct move nine times out of ten. I would be happy to answer any questions if you email me.

Don't worry so much. This kind of thing is very treatable.

Jon said...

I hope everything goes well.

Coffeypot said...

Have my fingers crossed for dad, and you, too. Hospitals are the worse place for everyone but the sick people. Just take a book or and an iPod or a nude mens calander to look at and try not to stress out.