Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm writing this post from my son's computer in his room as my husband is playing Diablo...again on the "family" computer.
I haven't posted in a while because of this reason and that I've been enjoying the x-mas gift from Santa that was for the whole family...a Wii.
I'm getting to be quite the Wii bowler and dart player. My Wii bowling average is a lot higher than my regular bowling average...and it's nice to bowl sitting in one's lounge chair as opposed to a smoke filled loud bowling alley.
My son is getting quite the work out with the Clone Wars game doing great light saber battles...with the light saber attachment that lights up...every Star Wars fan's dream come true to own a light saber....We just can't be near him as we may get whacked with the light saber...which lights up red..

The holidays were interesting.
I enjoyed having the week of Christmas off.
Christmas eve I made a huge Lasagna, with home made meat balls and garlic bread.
My parents and my sister and her family and my niece's boyfriend came over for dinner. We had Cheesecake (regular and Godiva triple chocolate) from the Cheesecake factory for dessert and home made cherry pie....
My sister brought the wine.
My kids and niece and the boyfriend started making their own concoctions with the bottles of booze my daughter won at a fund raiser auction.
I ended up with the niece's boyfriend passed out under the Christmas tree.
I have a photo.
Will post it later when I'm back to my own computer.
He was tired as he worked outside all day...
Luckily we were able to wake him so my niece could drive him back to their apartment and we didn't have an over night guest...passed out under the tree.
I was afraid that he would roll over and knock down the tree and get pelted with glass ornaments. He has enough scars on his face already from the head on snow mobile accident he was in several years ago.....

There has been enough snow around here.
Hubby was out this morning snow blowing out our driveway plus 4 others.
(my parents and sisters plus 2 of the neighbors)
He's a good neighbor.
My dad and brother in law do our driveway too....
but the other neighbors rarely do anything for us...
At least gas is still fairly cheap.

My mother has arthritis very bad in her knees.
Lately the one knee is so bad that she can barely walk.
Last Saturday night I was at my parents house and she asked me what I was doing Sunday morning.
I answered "sleeping"......(pause)......"why?"
"Would you be able to do my grocery shopping for me?" she asked.
Being a smartass, I told her that I could take her and she could ride around in one of those motorized carts they have for the handicapped.
And I thought to myself...hmmm...you have another daughter next door who only works 2 1/2 days a week and doesn't work on Monday...yet you are asking me the one that works full time...hmmmm...why is that? I pondered....
So I said..."Of course I will do your grocery shopping for you. Just make out the list"
Well, she had the list made out already...in tiny handwriting...and gave me money.
I couldn't even read the list.
The handwriting was so small.
I asked her if she could have writen it any smaller...and she said let me see it and decided that yes it was small and offered to rewrite it. I just told her I would have to wear my glasses to see it.

Sunday it was off to the grocery store...oh joy!
I wore my glasses with the bifocal lenses so I could see the list instead of my contacts.
I had a small list of sale stuff so I decided to just do all my shopping first and cash out.
I was done in about 15 minutes, cashed out and put the stuff in the car.
It was still fidgid out so I didn't have to worry about the frozen stuff.
Then I went back in to do my mother's shopping.
A few customers looked at me and my now empty cart kind of funny.
I was doing fine until I came to getting the doughnuts.
The donuts that my father likes were on the top tray in a glass doored display case.
Using my left leg I propped open the heavy galss door while holding the bag in my left hand and reaching up and getting the donuts with my right.
Luckily I'm tall as I can't see how short little old ladies would be able to get these donuts...which may be why there were still some left.
About half of the tray of sourcream frycakes gone already so I was glad to see that there would be enough for my mother as she wanted six.
I reached in and grabbed two.
The tray started sliding towards me.
I pushed the tray back and forth several times before it would stay in place and put the donuts in the bag.
Reaching back into the case, I grabbed two more from the back of the tray and the tray slid backwards like a teeter-totter and hit the tray below, which hit the tray below that and all the way down till I had chocolate covered donuts with sprinkles flying out of the case and hitting me in the groin....and landing on my boots and floor.
Oh shoot!!! (had to keep it clean as there were children around in the store)
Still holding the door open with my leg and the bag in my hand I peered around to see if there was anyone in the bakery.
They would have had to hear that!!
A lady customer came over and started picking donuts off the floor.
Then it was OMG I only have 4 donuts and she wanted 6.
So I reached into the case and found 2 donuts of the kind she wanted on one of the shelves below and grabbed them and put them in the bag. That god they didn't hit the floor!!!!
A bakery worker came over and told the lady customer that she would take care of the donuts on the floor and said that that happens because CUSTOMERS don't get the donuts off the trays correctly.... ummm...could it be that the tray system sucks??
I thanked the lady customer for helping me, said I was sorry to the bakery troll, brushed the sprinkles off the crotch of my jeans and I took my bag of donuts and fled to the dairy section.
Normally I would walk back again by the bakery to get to the checkouts, but went the back way around and avoided the bakery.....
Hopefully they won't recognise me in the future....as I was wearing my glasses.
Two and a half hours later I dropped off the groceries and told my mother about getting attacked by donuts.
She said that she has the same trouble with those trays...but never to that extent.
As they say...No good deed goes unpunished so I should be happy that it was only donuts attacking!


4 comments:

Walker said...

Attack of the killer donuts to funny LMAO!

I take my mother shopping and its something to see a 80 year lady hooked up to the shopping cart flying around cutting people off into displays and whizzing on by.

Coffeypot said...

You are too sweet. I would have told the bakery clerk, it's your trays that are the problem and that's why I can't help stepping on the donuts on the floor. (stomp, stomp)

Lindi said...

Walker,
My Father-in-law once said that his 2 phobias were shopping and driving in Canada...he was Canadian!!
He was relieved when we moved back in the area so I could take her shopping as she didn't drive..
She too was a little old lady demon behind the shopping cart. Barely 5 ft tall she could plow into the biggest of them!!

Lindi said...

Coffeepot
I just wanted to get the hell out of the store.
I felt like walking away and leaving the donuts all over the floor...
Bad form to blame customers for something in front of customers.

walker, I was talking about my late MIL shopping in my comment to you above...